WE're Going on an Adventure Together
We are absolutely pumped (two fists in the air!) that you're joining us for KEY Retreat in Nicaragua.
Below is some information we put together to help you prepare.
YOUR RETREAT PACKAGE INCLUDES
- Accommodation and meals at Monty’s Beach Lodge
- Transport from Managua, Leon or Chinandega on Saturday, Feb 11th and transport to Managua Airport early Saturday morning, Feb 18th.
- Daily yoga practice including breathing techniques
- Movement Workshop (1): Dynamic Posture Alignment
- Mindful Living Workshops (3)
- Volunteer Experience
- Hiking Experience
- Ocean Sports: Surfing lessons plus daily surfboard, surf kayak and paddle board rentals included
GROUND TRANSPORTATION TO JIQUILILLO
We will be gathering for the 1st time as a group at 11am on Saturday, February 11th. Please meet with the group on the Yoga Deck at Monty's Beach Lodge in Jiquilillo at this time.
Pick up early morning on Saturday, February 11th is available from the following cities:
- 6:30am Managua: From Managua International Airport to Jiquilillo is a 3.5 - 4 hour drive.
- 8:25am Leon (at your hotel): From Leon to Jiquilillo is a 2 hour drive.
- If you are arriving one or two days prior to the retreat, visiting Leon is another great option - < 2 hr taxi ride from the Managua Airport.
- 9:30am Chinandega (at your hotel): From Chinandega to Jiquilillo is a 1 hour drive.
If you prefer to travel on your own, you are welcome to arrange transportation with Monty’s for an additional charge.
GROUND TRANSPORTATION FROM JIquilillo to MANAGUA AIRPORT
The shuttle bus will be departing on Saturday, February 18th, 2017 (bus arrives for 8am departures). If you prefer to travel on your own, you are welcome to arrange transportation with Monty’s for an additional charge.
If you have any difficulties during transit and need to contact us, please contact Monty’s beach lodge: +505 8424 4087 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
All meals are prepared by local staff and served at Monty’s Lodge. Meals vary throughout your stay but expect to taste local favourites such as fresh fish, chicken, crayfish, pork, with gallo pinto as well as fresh local fruit and vegetables.
Morning tea, coffee and plenty of filtered water will be available to you as well.
If you have Special Meal Requests, please let us know if you have any allergies or food preferences. Monty’s staff will do their best to accommodate you.
Classes are ALL levels with modifications given to more challenging postures. Yoga classes will vary with intensity depending on the activities planned for the day. The classes will be led by experienced teachers, John Fortin and Erin Tetarenko.
MINDFUL LIVING WORKSHOPS
These experiential workshops are focused on assisting you to enhance your life experience, psychological flexibility, performance capacities and wellbeing. The content embodies scientific research and evidence-based practices from positive psychology and Acceptance and Commitment Training (ACT). During the workshops, the facilitators will hold a nurturing, supportive space with an emphasis on developing higher levels of awareness in both body and mind. The experiential approach is supported by the belief that by developing self-awareness, we create opportunities for shifts towards higher levels of functioning and greater wellbeing.
We’ve organized Surf Lessons for beginner level surfers at the beginning of our stay. Throughout the week, you will have access to all the ocean sport rentals including surfboards, surf kayaks, and stand up paddle (SUP) boards so feel free to enjoy!
We’ve organized Surf Lessons for beginner level surfers at the beginning of our stay. If you'd like additional surfing lessons, you can hire a local surf coach in Jiquilillo for 15-20 USD per hour.
LAUNCHING THE KEY LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
The KEY leadership Program is designed to empower future leaders in Nicaragua by providing them with knowledge and skills to elevate the way they live and lead. Our program embodies an experiential coaching approach, integrating scientific models that consider physical, psychological, spiritual, emotional wellbeing.
This program will be running alongside the KEY Retreat on February 16th and 17th. During this time, the Future Leaders will be joining us for morning activities and some meals.
If you have some down time prior to the retreat, it’s a great option to begin practicing your Spanish! A FREE online option is the app DUOLINGO. BONUS: It’s for all levels and formatted as a GAME. So, if you want to get a bit competitive, add some of the UP Ambassadors as competitors for accountability.
Canadian citizens require a passport whose expiry date is at least 6 months after your travel date. Canadians must also be in possession of a tourist card, which is usually obtained at port of entry for a US$10 fee, payable in cash. The tourist card allows for travel within the C-4 countries (Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala) for a 90 day period. The 90 days begin at the first point of entry of any of the C-4 countries. An entry stamp is provided in the passport upon arrival.
Please ensure that you have or purchase travel medical insurance for your stay. It is also suggest that you make an appointment with the Travel Medicine and Vaccination Centre to ensure you have the recommended vaccines for Nicaragua. http://www.tmvc.com/
Keep in mind that when you are travelling to developing countries, sanitation can be an issue. You may want to purchase Grapefruit seed extract from the natural health store as a preventative. Grapefruit seed extract is a liquid substance extracted from the fruit and seeds of grapefruit with many researched health benefits including antiviral, antimycotic, and antiprotozoan capacities against many bacteria and viruses. Ask a Naturopath or a trusted Health Care professional. You may want to bring hydration tablets incase travellers’ diarrhea occurs.
Also, do not forget Mosquito repellent!
Wireless Internet is available and can be accessed via personal laptops or IOS devices for e-mail, skype, or any other personal needs. Please know that the Wi-Fi services are not as advanced as in North America and can sometimes have slow connections. Also, keep in mind this is a great opportunity to unplug.
- A small item that is meaningful and important to you. Come prepared to share a story around the significance.
- Warm weather clothing
- Slightly cooler evening clothing: light weight long sleeve shirt, light pants (or long skirts)
- Bathing suit including a comfortable suit for surfing and SUP (some of you may like a rash guard)
- Sarong or Beach towel
- Yoga or fitness attire (outdoor warm weather)
- Yoga Mat (and Props, if you require)
- Sandals or Flip Flops
- Comfortable walking or running shoes (we highly recommend an outdoor pair that you don't mind getting dirty)
- Water bottle for outings (save the environment and limit use of plastic bottles)
- Sun protection: sun glasses, hat, sunscreen, after sun care
- Insect Repellent(BUG-R-OFF Herbal Insect Repellent or Natural Oil blends with citronella work well)
- Flashlight (mobile phone will work)
- Alarm device (mobile phone will work, again!)
- Ear Plugs for sleeping. If you are accustomed to urban sounds, you may notice a difference in the quality of your sleep first couple nights. Sounds in Jiquilillo are very different. You can expect to hear roosters crowing before sunset (3 or 4am!) along with other wildlife sounds.
- Small backpack or purse for day trips
- Snacks if you require (3 meals a day are provided, though, if you have specific foods you would like to bring there is a limited amount of space in the fridge to store these items)
You do not require very much additional cash. We recommend 150-250 USD max. The USD is widely accepted in Nicaragua. Anything purchased through Monty’s Beach Lodge such as additional activities – massage, fishing trips, horseback riding – specialty drinks and souvenirs can be charged on your credit card with a % service fee. Please note that Jiquilillo does not have ATM service. The nearest ATM is in Chinandega, about a 50 minutes drive from Jiquilillo.